Hasse was the big winner of the strange research contest this year, winning strangest article, realest fake article, and fakest real article. Here are the winners:
- Strangest and fakest real article: Chickens prefer beautiful humans Ghirlanda, Jansson & Enquist. (2002).
- Realest fake article: Correlates of onychophagia among smokers and recent quitters (Onychophagia = nail biting.) Schnoll, Malmstrom, James, Rithman,
Other awesome entries:
- An ergonomic approach to public squatting-type toilet design. Cai D, You M. Appl Ergon. 1998
- Personal space invasions in the lavatory: suggestive evidence for arousal. Middlemist, R., Knowles, E., & Matter, C. (1976). Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 33, 541-546.
- Pressures produced when penguins pooh—calculations on avian defaecation By VictorBenno Meyer-Rochow and Jozsef Gal Polar Biology Volume 27, Number 1, 56-58, DOI: 10.1007/s00300-003-0563-3
Apparently our collective sense of humor runs towards the scatological.