The finalists have been announced for the GÃ¤vle Lussekatt contest!
Apparently there were over 300 submissions, which were (with considerable difficulty) pared down to 10 finalists.Â I have cast my vote for Pricken (Dot in English), who reminds me so much of Apelsin I had to double-check that it wasn’t Apelsin (different markings though).Â I am pretty sure you need a Gastrikland address for your vote to count, but you can check out the contestants here: http://arbetarbladet.se/lasarnasab/lussekatten/1.1542948
Some discussion questions:
1) Is the hairless cat entrant a token entry to satisfy diversity requirements?Â Isn’t that condescending?
2) Is the yawning black cat a little too evil ‘basement cat’ to be considered cute?
3) Why don’t any of the persian/snub-nose entrants have a “nailed shut cat door” story to explain their appearance?
4) How is chewing on electrical cords funny?Â That seems to be the literary definition of tragedy.
5) This would offend my feminist sensibilities if it were a ‘pretty girl’ contest, so why do I find the kitty contest delightful?
6) Why should any cat other than Pricken win? (This is a trick question).
7) If Pricken left GÃ¤vle on an 05:25 Upplands LokaltrafikÂ Train and Zorran left Uppsala on a 05:34Â X2000 train, who would get to to Sundsvall first, winning the can of herring?Â State your assumptions and show your work.
Those are the book club questions for this week, please discuss over fika.